Starting from the basics, we all are taught to connect and interact with people in social media platforms in order to boost engagement and build relationships. While this is a good practice, but in platforms like twitter, we often develop a mass of people we follow but they eventually don’t follow us.
Having a lot of people who don’t follow us is not a good sign as twitter only allows you to follow only 2000 accounts more than the number of users who follow you.
If you are tired of unfollowing those non-followers manually or removing fake and inactive twitter profiles from time to time, this post will demonstrate the top 8 twitter unfollow tools to mass unfollow non-followers.
Why should you unfollow on Twitter?
Unfollowing on twitter is most necessary when you are on it for a purpose. Here is why you are ethical when you unfollow twitter users:
- Unfollowing the non-followers will actually give you the chance to connect with more twitter users. This is because you cannot follow more than 2000 people following you. It means if you don’t unfollow non-followers you are missing it out.
- You are always welcome to unfollow people who blast out tweets. This will help you lessen the clutter off your newsfeed.
- Unfollowing people not related or compatible with your business will make you have more time to concentrate with others who have enough opportunities for you.
Now let us see some of the tools that help you in the “unfollow clutter mission”
Tweet adder is to twitter as jetpack is to WordPress. It has everything you would desire for marketing on twitter. I have personally used tweetadder and here is its review exclusive for the readers of bloggertipstricks.
Now coming to the unfollow features, tweet adder is a rocker. It has a wide range of filter unfollowing people. You can use tweetadder to:
- Unfollow people who don’t follow you back or have recently unfollowed you.
- Unfollow people with spam profiles like no profile picture or default egg gravatar.
- Unfollow people who are too talkative or too quite (don’t tweet enough).
- Unfollow people who speak a different language than you do.
Socialbro is a very powerful twitter tool that is a must keep in your social media toolbox. Besides helping you to mass unfollow twitter users, Socialbro has a plethora of other functions like:
- Audience insights: Gives you powerful insights about your follower stats.
- Analyze competitor: It helps you to track the progress and efficiency of competitor twitter accounts by studying its changes in strategy, evolution with time etc.
- Collaborators: It handles the teammates that work in your twitter strategy. You can control which team mate has how much access to your specific twitter account.
Coming to unfollow tool of socialbro it has a pretty simple yet powerful interface.
Just login to
The only demerit is it allows you to unfollow only 100 accounts per day in the free plan. This could be a pain if you are having a lot of inactive accounts. However once done it can be used to cut the follower list at regular intervals.
Want to make your twitter profile clean and engaged? Here is
Formerly flush, the new twitter
They have a premium plan
Crowdfire of Codigami Inc. had been formerly known as justunfollowers. This revamped name added more features to this free twitter management app but the unfollowers feature is as it was.
You can get rid of twitter accounts that are not following you and thus can keep your account clean. Crowdfire has dedicated android and IOS apps to help you clean your twitter profiles on the go.
The only drawback of this tool is it allows unfollowing only 25 followers daily which is quite low and could be time consuming when you want to use only the free version.
This is a very reputed tool and has been featured in top social media blogs like
One of the coolest feature of manageflitter is it shows you the number of twitter user you have followed. That means if you see @moz it shows you the serial number at which you followed moz since the starting of your account. Not a necessity but cool!
It has many other visual pleasures and filters you would love once you log in.
Friendorfollow is a plain and free way to unfollow users who are not following you back on twitter. It also similar features for tumblr and instagram users.
You can quickly see which friend is following you back and which not and thus unfriend them (or unfollow in terms of twitter).
You can also export this list of twitter users in a .csv file for future reference.
Untweeps is a great free twitter unfollow tool that lets you unfollow inactive twitter accounts. This is a wise step as a hundred active followers are far better than 1000 inactive users.
Just log in through your twitter account and enter a number to depict the number of days a twitter account is inactive since. This is helpful to categorize users who haven’t tweeted since a definite time and quickly unfollow them.
Over to you:
I think unfollowing the non-followers is wise and just because it will help our twitter profile not appear spammy. Moreover in order to appear authoritative you need to follow only accounts that provide value. So use these tweets to quickly unfollow your twitter followers that aren’t contributing much.